This article needs to tynemouth station market times forex updated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information.
It was designed by William Bell for the North Eastern Railway Company. The railway station was opened in 1882 by the North Eastern Railway. It became a through station once more on 14 November 1982 when the section to St James via North Shields, Wallsend and Monument became the fourth section of the network to commence services. In 2007, English Heritage placed the station on its “at-risk” register of notable buildings in need of restoration. In early April 2009, plans regarding proposed regeneration of the station were put on show to members of the public and local businesses. The Planning Committee of North Tyneside Council received a planning application dated 16 September 2009 which envisaged substantial redevelopment of the Tynemouth Metro Station site.
The owners of the site, Station Developments Limited wished to build a 16 000 sqft supermarket on the site, as well as other improvements. A leading supermarket chain was said to have shown interest. The station was renovated in 2012 and following the revamp it was officially opened by Anne, Princess Royal on 2 July 2012. A weekly market is held in the station concourse every Saturday and Sunday, which doubles as a farmers’ market once a month. The Friends of Tynemouth Station have held book fairs several times a year and they have also arranged the displays of artwork that travellers regularly see in the central section of the bridge and hanging from the roof area at the station.